Thursday, May 1, 2008

Just to be clear...

I have nothing against antidepressants or other medications designed to treat mental illnesses. My choice to go off of antidepressants is purely a quality of life issue. If antidepressants worked for me with acceptable side effects, I would not have considered going off of them.

There are times in my life when I needed to be on antidepressants. My mental state had gotten so bad that I couldn't pull myself out of it on my own. My mind worked in irrational, paranoid ways. I am not sure I would be alive today without medication. If my mood and/or mental stability takes a nosedive, I will go back on lexapro or some other medication.

Treating depression is not formulaic. Different things work for different people. Going off of antidepressants is a serious issue and it can have dramatic effects on one's life. I neither encourage nor discourage others from doing so. The techniques I am using to try and live my life without antidepressants are things that may make people happier and healthier whether or not they are on antidepressants.

No comments: