Friday, May 9, 2008

A Happy Diet

This weekend I am going grocery shopping, and I'm going to focus on creating a planned, healthy and happy diet for the week.

I'm going to start taking a multivitamin, folic acid and a B-vitamin complex.

I'm going to reduce my sugar intake by eliminating all prepackaged junk food, and most other desserts. I am making an exception for Sunday evenings when I eat dinner with my family. My mom's pies are worth it! Instead of chocolate and cookies, I will treat myself to homemade quickbreads that are at least partially made with whole wheat flower. I love baking with Garden Way's Bread Baker's Almanac. It's a wonderful book with excellent recipes that never seem to fail.

I'm also going to try and boost my omega-3 fatty acid intake by eating more fish. I'm going to aim for at least two fish meals a week. Fish isn't too hard to cook, and should be absolutely delicious with fried sweet potatoes! If I decide cooking fish twice a week is not going to work, I'll add a fish-oil supplement to my diet as well.

I need to do more research on what nutritional improvements I can make to optimize my mood, but I think this is a good start.

No comments: